Prince performs at the 10th Anniversary Essence Music Festival at the Superdome on July 2, 2004 in New Orleans, Louisiana. (Photo by Chris Graythen/Getty Images)
- His live shows and the great anticipation leading up to seeing him grace the stage.
5.His professionalism and attention to detail.
- His showmanship.
7.His hearty laugh.
- His mane. (We saw it flowing in the wind, in ringlets, with finger waves, etc. But I love how he came full circle, back to a ‘fro.)
- His musical collaborations with musicians he admired and encouraged.
- His covers of songs to which he added his princely stamp.
- His versatility.
- His influence on culture (can you think of Minneapolis, the color purple, the number 7, or paisley without Prince coming to mind?)
- His trademark “Aaaooowah!”
- His raw, spine-chilling shrieks.
- His perpetual love of funk.
- His distinctive fashion sense. (Ruffled shirts, platform sneakers, three-lensed shades…he really could rock anything.)
- His soothing, earnest falsetto.
- The commanding, sensual bass in his voice.
- His romantic ballads.
- His honesty.
- His delightful sense of humor (from doing pranks on late-night TV to embracing Internet memes.)
- His endearing smile.
- His expressive eyes.
- His lateness. (I accepted the inevitable, but I always knew he was going to show up.)
- His facial expressions when he was shredding his guitar.
- His intimate piano interludes during a concert.
- His spirited dance moves.
- His spirituality.
- His engrossing lyrics and eloquence.
- How he vibed with the audience whenever he played “Purple Rain.”
- The special monikers he gave to his artists.
- His naughtiness. (Yes, I understand that he evolved, but it was still fun.)
- His love of his hometown.
- His music videos.
- His dance breaks with concertgoers on the stage during a show.
- How he held a microphone.
- How he valued femininity and womanhood.
- His prolificness.
- His message of love.
- His humanitarianism.
- His commitment to owning his music.
- His tours.
- His announcements of new releases.
- His appearances on awards shows that would delight audiences.
- How he repped Geminis with swagger.
- How he threw shade. (#Lollipoplife)
- His mentorship of new talent.
- His passion for music.
- His ambition and drive to create.
- His occasional cameos. (“New Girl” was delightful.)
- His abbreviated language (e.g., 4 U), which pre-dated texting by a couple decades.)
- His imagination.
- How fun it was doing call-and-response during a show.
- His social media posts.
…MISS THE GUITAR? UH, NO. pic.twitter.com/oyytiiB0Mj
— Prince (@prince) March 14, 2016
- His ability to be autonomous.
- His non-conforming nature.
- His humility when receiving love from his audience.
- His boldness.
- His spontaneity.
- His earthly presence.